The Jersey Shore Area School District is located in Clinton and Lycoming Counties in NorthCentral Pennsylvania, midway between Williamsport and Lock Haven. The school district is comprised of the Boroughs of Jersey Shore
and Salladasburg and the Townships of Anthony, Bastress, Brown, Cummings
, Limestone, McHenry
, Mifflin, Nippenose, Piatt
, Porter, and Watson
--all in Lycoming County; and the Borough of Avis, the Township of Crawford, and part of the Township of Pine Creek--all in Clinton County. Jersey Shore Borough is the largest municipality in the district with a population of more than 4,000 individuals. The 2000 population served by the school district was approximately 19,000.
The present school district was organized in 1966 by a consolidation of eleven smaller school districts. It is governed by a nine-member Board of School Directors elected to four-year terms. The superintendent is the chief administrative officer of the school district with overall responsibility for all aspects of operations, including education and finance. The assistant superintendent serves as curriculum coordinator and strategic planning facilitator for the school district. The business manager is responsible for budget and financial operations, food service, maintenance and operation of plant, transportation, and purchasing. These officials are appointed by the Board of School Directors.
The district is rural in nature and covers approximately 384.9 square miles along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River the Pine Creek Valley.
There are seven buildings in the Jersey Shore Area School District: one administration building, one grades 9-12 high school, one grades 6-8 middle school, and three K-5 elementary schools.
Where the Jersey Shore Area School District is Located in Pennsylvania
Where the Jersey Shore Area School District is Located in Blast Intermediate Unit #17
The Townships and Boroughs That Are Part of the Jersey Shore Area School District
|Click on the graphic to the left to see the location of Jersey Shore Borough and the other municipalities comprising the Jersey Shore Area School District.|
How did Jersey Shore get its name?
Jersey Shore got its start just before the American Revolution. In 1772, as the early white settlers were increasingly clashing with the native Indians and their British allies, a Colonial officer Col. John Henry Antes built the first house along the Susquehanna -- on the eastern bank of the river, across from where the town is now. The Antes house was fortified so it could be used for protection of settlers.
From Philadelphia, descendants of state founder William Penn issued an order forbidding white settlers from moving west of what now is Pine Creek, which empties into the Susquehanna three miles west of what now is Jersey Shore. Then on July 4, 1776 -- the same day that the more famous American Colonial leaders in Philadelphia were signing their Declaration of Independence from Great Britain -- a group of Jersey Shore leaders called the Fair Play Men met under a big elm tree and also declared their independence.
Perhaps because of New Jersey’s growing population, many of the incoming families decided to move from that state, including brothers Reuben and Jeremiah Manning. They arrived in 1785 and laid out a few streets in what is now downtown. Waynesburg was the early name for the settlement on the western shore of the Susquehanna, which flows north in this area. But another group of newcomers, mostly Scotch-Irish, were settling on the eastern bank of the river.
Over the next 30 years or so, the names Waynesburg and Jersey Shore competed for acceptance. But as the influx from New Jersey continued to grow on the western bank of the river, the name Jersey Shore finally won out. Surveyors made a complete map of town streets in 1812, and Jersey Shore was formally incorporated as a town in 1826.
View Larger Map